Dangers in the garden: These substances are toxic to dogs

The garden is a great place for dogs to run around and live out. But before you let your four-legged friend play without supervision in the green oasis behind the house, you should take a close look at your garden. There are fertilizers and other substances that can be toxic to dogs. Important for dog owners: Is the garden safe for dogs? - Shutterstock / M_Nordin

Especially if your dog is playing in a strange garden, you should be careful - after all, you are not sure whether the plants have been treated with fertilizers or pesticides. These mostly chemical agents are not only toxic to the small pests that are supposed to drive them away - contact can also have serious consequences for dogs.

Phytosanitary: Toxic to dogs

Plant protection products are intended to protect garden flowers and the like from aphids, fungi or weeds. But pesticides can also be dangerous for dogs. This is especially true if your four-legged friend comes into direct contact with them - for example, if he nibbled on the pack or even ate from the pesticide. Even if you or your neighbor are in the process of spraying your plants with chemical agents, your dog should not be around because it could absorb the pesticides through the air. If the plant protection products are already on the leaves of a plant and your dog licks them off, there is usually no danger. If in doubt, contact your veterinarian anyway.

Beware of snail poison in the garden

The name already reveals which animals the so-called snail grain should work against. But it is not only attractive for snails, but also for dogs, because it tastes pleasantly sweet. Fortunately, your four-legged friend can hardly get poisoned from a single granule, but the amount makes the difference: 0.5 grams of snail grain per kilogram of dog's body weight can be very dangerous. Therefore, keep your four-legged friend away from beds with a snail poison.

Out into the green: baby dogs in the great outdoors

How to fertilize properly

If your dog is often in the garden and you regularly fertilize your plants, it is best to switch to organic fertilizers. For example, feather or horn meal are possible. However, you should stay away from mineral fertilizers, because these chemical cocktails are extremely toxic to dogs.

You may also be interested in these dog articles:

Caution toxic! Food that dogs should not eat

This way the garden is safe from puppies

Danger to life for dogs from barbecues

0 comments Login to comment

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos